Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Gregory Coco: 1946 - 2009


Greg Coco gives a tour in the National Cemetery (NPS)

Last night, all us History Buffs lost a great friend. Gregory A. Coco, a longtime park ranger at Gettysburg and gifted author of many books, lost his long battle with cancer. I was only acquainted with Greg, but his books that I read and his tours which I attended taught me an incalculable amount of history concerning the Battle of Gettysburg and the American Civil War. Greg was known for his humor and great knowledge. He once jokingly called me "one of the disciples" of Gettysburg History, one who carries on the stories of the past so that others may learn from them as well. Nevertheless, that meant a lot to me. He will be truly missed. Rest in peace, Greg.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad to learn of this. I met him briefly at a talk during a heritage week at Gettysburg. He had just finished a program on the aftermath of the battle. I showed him a copy of an ancestor's deathbed letter, and he was able to direct me to where the 2nd Corp hospital was by the date at the top.

    Archea Akam Ferrara

    ReplyDelete